35 Winter School Holiday Events in Melbourne’s West
The Winter School Holidays are nearly here (Saturday 29 June to Sunday 14 July 2019) so now’s the time to start planning your family fun in Melbourne’s west!
Joyce Watts from the popular Melbourne-based family travel blog TOT: HOT OR NOT has compiled a list of her top 35 school holiday events and activities happening in Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Melton, Moonee Valley, Wyndham and Maribyrnong.
Some are free or low cost and some may require bookings in advance – so hop to it!
Winter School Holiday activities in Melbourne – WEST
- Winter Fest Moonee Ponds (Now until Sun 14 Jul) – Ice skating, ice slide, music, free events.
- Winter Street Party Werribee (Fri 28 Jun) – See the city light up after dark, with beautiful light installations, street performers, kids’ activities and warming winter treats from city traders.
- Clocktower Centre (Sat 29 Jun – Sat 13 Jul) – Fame Jnr, Seussical, Wiggles, Bunk Puppets.
- Scienceworks (Sat 29 Jun – Sun 14 Jul) – Electricity shows and circuit workshops.
- SciencePlay Kids at Highpoint (Wed 3 Jul – Fri 5 Jul) – Drop in science sessions with Dr Loz.
- Play Pool Watergardens (Sat 29 Jun – Sun 14 Jul) – A four-metre pool will be filled will inflatable beach balls, life saving rings and other pool toys.
- Essendon Traffic School (Mon 1 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Miniature city set up for learning road rules and bike skills. Full review.
- Melton Waves (Sat 29 Jun – Sun 14 Jul) – Splash in the shallows or ride the waves.
- Ramp Camp (Mon 1 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Camps for skateboarders, scooter & BMX riders aged from 7-14. Read my review.
- Zoorassic Werribee Zoo (Sat 29 Jun – Sun 14 Jul) – Nine life-size dinosaurs come to life through animatronics and soundscapes. Full review.
- Brickman at Scienceworks (Sat 29 Jun – Sun 14 Jul) – Discover the world’s most iconic cities and build your own creations at this brand-new interactive LEGO® experience.
- Wit Kids (Mon 1 Jul – Thu 11 Jul) – Free school holiday drama workshops.
- Junior Rangers (Mon 1 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Parks Victoria Ranger guided activities in various locations. Including Minibeast Discovery at Brimbank Park and Organ Pipes National Park. Full review.
- Code Camp (Mon 1 Jul – Wed 5 Jul) – Kids create and build their own game, learn about user design and the psychology of user experience. Essendon and Newport.
- Little Art Big Art (Mon 1 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Various workshops for kids aged 1-12 years.
- The Younger Sun (Mon 1 Jul, Thu 4 Jul) – Storytime and book launches.
- Tree Art or Craft (Mon 1 Jul, Wed 3 Jul) – Inspired by the beautiful Belonging Tree mural on show at Melton Library & Learning Hub, kids will create their own work of art.
- Moonbase ONE (Sat 29 Jun – Fri 20 Sep) – Planetarium show at Scienceworks. Join a Virtual Reality game developer as she struggles to work out what is wrong with her new game.
- Footscray City Gym (Mon 1 Jul – Sun 14 Jul) – Holiday programs and open sessions of free play on gymnastic equipment for 1 hour.
- Moonee Ponds Central (Tue 2 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Free cupcake decorating and winter craft workshops.
- Saddle Up (Wed 3 Jul, thu 4 Jul, Tu 9 Jul) – Learn to ride a horse, meet and learn about equine health from an industry leading vet, craft your very own noodle horse and riding goggles. At Flemington, Werribee and Geelong Racecourses.
- 100 Story Holidays (Mon 1 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Writing workshops for kids aged 7 – 12 years. Full review.
- Team Adrenalin (Mon 1 Jul, Wed 3 Jul, Mon 8 Jul, Wed 10 Jul) – Acrobatics, circus, trampolining, tumbling and more.
- The Art Factory Essendon (Mon 1 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Various creative activities and workshops.
- Footscray Community Arts Centre (Tue 2 Jul – Thu 11 Jul) – ‘Extreme Arts’ and Theatre Intensive workshops.
- Incinerator Gallery (Tue 2 Jul – Thu 4 Jul) – Art and creative workshops.
- The Mighty Little Puppet Show (Thu 4 Jul) – Combines puppetry with the limitless world of improvised storytelling. Ages 5-12.
- Bindu Creative Dance Footscray (Wed 3 Jul) – Creative dance and design session.
- A is for Art (Tue 2 Jul – Thu 10 Jul) – Art and craft workshops for kids 4-15 years.
- Miss Biscuit Seddon (Wed 3 Jul, Thu 11 Jul) – Uncover the basics of cookie decorating.
- Werribee Gymnastics Club (Wed 3 Jul – Fri 5 Jul) – Play Gym, Sensory Play, Open sessions and more.
- School Holiday Reptile Show (Thu 4 Jul) – Reptile Encounters for the kids to see touch and experience these cold-blooded animals at WestWaters, Caroline Springs.
- Dingo Puppy Encounters (Sat 6 Jul – Sun 22 Sept) – A unique opportunity to learn about Australia’s apex predator and native dog. Ages 7 and up.
- Wild Nights Werribee Zoo (Sat 6 Jul – Sat 13 Jul) – Spot animals by torchlight and see Werribee Open Range Zoo come to life after dark. Full review.
- SciencePlay Kids (Tue 9 Jul – Fri 12 Jul) – Discover the awesome world of dinosaurs with Dr Lorien Parker (‘Dr Loz’). Full review.
- Sunday Movie Club The Princess Bride (Sun 14 Jul) – Interactive movie for all ages encourages audience participation with props, games and activities to make things even more entertaining.
As well as these events don’t forget to check what’s on at your local library and community centre!
Joyce Watts helps families have more fun together! Her blog TOT: HOT OR NOT reviews things to do and places to go with kids in Melbourne, Regional Victoria and beyond. Sign up to her weekly newsletter here and follow her family’s adventures on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.