35 Spring School Holiday Events in Melbourne’s West
The Spring School Holidays are coming (Saturday 21 September to Sunday 6 October 2019) so now’s the time to start planning your family fun in Melbourne’s west!
Joyce Watts from the popular Melbourne-based family travel blog TOT: HOT OR NOT has compiled a list of her top 35 school holiday events and activities happening in Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Melton, Moonee Valley, Wyndham and Maribyrnong.
Some are free or low cost and some may require bookings in advance – so hop to it!
Spring School Holiday activities in Melbourne’s West
- Green Gully Reserve opening (Sat 21 Sep) – new playground and fitness facilities, sausage sizzle, family friendly entertainment as well as an exciting live animal show.
- The Lion King Werribee Zoo (Sat 21 Sep) – Spend some time with the lions, and enjoy entertainment and kids’ activities before settling in for a ‘Zoovie’ on the lawn, where you’ll get the full cinema experience with the film playing on a large outdoor movie screen!
- Wyndham Brickfest (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 22 Sep) – Lego-based fundraising event for the new Paediatric Ward at Werribee Mercy Hospital.
- Dingo Puppy Encounter (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 29 Sep) – Cuddle and photograph cute fluffy cubs and meet friendly dingo adults at the Dingo Discovery Sanctuary and Research Centre. Full review.
- We Are Cape-able Incinerator Gallery (Sat 21 Sep – Wed 25 Sep) – Guided through hands-on crafting and interactive play activities, children will be invited to utilise recycled materials to construct their own piece of wearable recycled art.
- Kulin Dreaming Werribee Zoo (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 6 Oct) – Members of the local Kulin Nation will share their incredible stories through dance and didgeridoo performances, gumnut and emu feather necklace workshops, ochre face painting, clap stick decorating, river pebble symbol painting and much more!
- Ultimate Ninja Kids Watergardens (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 6 Oct) – Race your friends as you climb over and under the pole maze, squeeze through obstacles and climb the slippery steps to the mountain.
- Essendon Traffic School (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 6 Oct) – mini road set up for kids aged two to ten years, complete with road signs, railway bells and traffic lights. Full review.
- Scienceworks (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 6 Oct) – free hands-on bridge building activity, an engaging amphitheatre show about the science of structures and a construction-themed play area for younger visitors.
- Brickman Cities Scienceworks (Sat 21 Sep – Sun 6 Oct) – Discover the world’s most iconic cities and build your own creations at this brand-new interactive LEGO® experience. Read my review.
- Royal Melbourne Show (Sat 21 Sep – Tue 1 Oct) – Victoria’s largest annual community event, bringing together the very best of entertainment, agriculture, attractions and fine food for a fun and memorable day out to enjoy with family and friends. Full review.
- Eynesbury Market (Sun 22 Sep) – Genuine farmers, producers and makers meet and sell directly to the public fresh, local and organic foods.
- Sunday Movie Club (Sun 22 Sep) – Get ready to dance a magic dance these school holidays as Sunday Movie Club presents Labyrinth!
- Dinomania (Mon 23 Sep) – Enjoy a live interactive family show taking you back in time to an age when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
- Springfit Werribee (Mon 23 Sep – Thu 26 Sep) – FREE fitness sessions in Werribee City Centre. Everyone who participates will receive a free healthy snack post session. Includes Ninja Warriors Obstacle Course, hip hop, football.
- Brimbank School Holidays (Mon 23 Sep – Sat 5 Oct) – various workshops and events.
- Wyndham Park Community Centre (Tue 24 Sep – Thu 3 Oct) – various events and workshops.
- Robotics (Mon 23 Sep – Thu 27 Sep) – kids make their own robot from scratch and program it to solve different problem statements.
- The Play Pool (Mon 23 Sep – Sun 6 Oct) – Slide into a brilliant ball pit at Woodgrove Shopping Centre these school holidays, with fantastic free fun activities including an awesome kids Craft Village.
- 100 Story Building (Tue 24 Sep – Thu 3 Oct) – writing workshops for 7+ years. Read my review.
- Sebastian Williamstown (Tue 24 Sep – Thu 3 Oct) – free silent disco party, face painting, craft, science activities and more. Read my review.
- Footscray City Gymnastics Club (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – various workshops and daily open gym.
- The Art Factory Essendon (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – various activities and workshops.
- Little Art Big Art (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – holiday workshops for ages 1 through to Adults.
- Moonee Ponds Central (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – various events and workshops.
- Stay n Play Point Cook (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 5 Oct) – Drop off your kids at Stay ‘n’ Play and let them enjoy a wonderful range of FREE fun activities with our qualified childcare supervisors, while you shop, enjoy some time to yourself or grab a coffee with friends.
- Team Adrenalin (Mon 23 Sep – Wed 2 Oct) – acrobatics, circus, trampolining, tumbling. School holiday program and open recreational training.
- Wit Kids (Mon 23 Sep – Thu 3 Oct) – free school holidays drama workshops.
- Ramp Camp (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – Camps for skateboarders, scooter & BMX riders aged from 7-14. Read my review.
- Scienceplay Kids (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – hands-on science classes for kids 2-12 years. Full review.
- Junior Rangers (Mon 23 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – Parks Victoria Ranger-guided activities in various locations. Full review.
- Footscray Community Arts Centre (Tue 24 Sep – Thu 3 Oct) – full day ‘Extreme Arts’ and Theatre Intensive
- Bindu Creative Dance and Design (Wed 25 Sep) – guided adventure into the creative dance, a short refreshments break in between, followed by a dedicated session of creating a specific project.
- Reptile Show (Thu 26 Sep) – Join us for a close encounter of the scaly kind, with this Free School Holiday Reptile show at Tabcorp Park.
- FORT Williamstown (Wed 25 Sep) – ridiculous clowning, spectacular acrobatics, poetic and visual imagery.
- Werribee Gymnastics Club (Wed 25 Sep – Tue 1 Oct) – Play Gym, Sensory Play, Open sessions and more.
- Saddle Up (Wed 25 Sep – Thu 3 Oct) – Learn to ride a horse, meet and learn about equine health from an industry leading vet, craft your very own noodle horse and riding goggles. At Flemington, Moonee Valley, Werribee and Geelong Racecourses.
- Possum Magic Clocktower Centre (Thur 26 Sep) – show based on Mem Fox’s Possum Magic.
- Miss Biscuit (Thu 26 Sep, Fri 4 Oct) – Baking and biscuit decorating workshop for 6-12 years.
- Kookaburra Festival (Fri 27 Sep) – Lots of market stalls, food, an animal farm, fun workshops, and entertainment for the whole family.
- Australian Ballet Classes Bowery Theatre (Mon 30 Sep – Fri 4 Oct) – Free program to explore the world of ballet and co-create your own dance work to perform at the end of the week.
- Puffin Writing Workshop (Tue 1 Oct) – Join Melbourne children’s author, George Ivanoff, for a story writing workshop to find out. He’ll get you brainstorming, teach you about planning and structure, talk to you about research and get you creating characters
- Puffin Illustrating Workshop (Wed 2 Oct) – Using fun activities to put together ideas, participants are encouraged to draw along and learn how to use things like shapes, lines and expressions to create a unique cartoon character.
- Oktoberfest in the West (Sat 5 Oct) – Inspired by the traditional Bavarian festival and great beer, experience authentic German food stalls, roving performers and a marvellous mix of entertainment throughout the afternoon and evening.
- Aquapulse Open day (Sat 5 Oct) – free entry to all school aged children and families between 9:00am to 10:00am, with free access to all aquatic activities including the water slides. Full review.
- Altona Homestead Devonshire Tea (Sun 6 Oct) – historical homestead is open every 1st Sunday for Devonshire Tea.
As well these events don’t forget to check what’s on at your local library and community centre!
Joyce Watts helps families have more fun together! Her blog TOT: HOT OR NOT reviews things to do and places to go with kids in Melbourne, Regional Victoria and beyond. Sign up to her weekly newsletter here and follow her family’s adventures on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.