Western Melbourne Tourism Inc (WMT) is an urban regional tourism board incorporated for the purposes of developing a stronger more competitive tourism sector in Melbourne’s west.
Melbourne’s west embraces the municipal boundaries of Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melton, Moonee Valley and Wyndham councils.
The Western Melbourne Tourism Board’s mission is to increase the recognition and contribution of tourism to the region’s economy, ensuring potential visitors are aware of the unique factors that make Melbourne’s west a compelling place to visit and this interest converts to visitation growth.
The WMT board is currently focused on working collaboratively with other key stakeholders to support local industry operators, advocate to government, and undertake steps to grow the capability of the sector and the quality of the visitor experience in the region.
The board currently comprises representation from five of the six western metropolitan Council funding partners, LeadWest, Victoria University, Parks Victoria, Scienceworks, Quest Apartments, Zoos Victoria and the arts sector.
The WMT Board aims to build partnerships and leverage resources to broaden engagement with businesses and other tourism industry stakeholders. The outlook for future growth of the visitor sector for this region is very positive. There is a particular opportunity for enhancing the profile of Melbourne’s west as a destination in the context of the metropolitan region of Melbourne.
The value of our organisation is in its regional approach and the synergy it is able to achieve between individual members and councils. A regional tourism board is also uniquely placed to attract industry funds for cooperative marketing, brand and research projects.
Our Vision – What we aspire to achieve
Melbourne’s West is a welcoming place of urban discovery
Our Purpose – What is our belief
We believe in what the West can offer visitors
Our Mission – What is our role
Our collaboration achieves a competitive advantage for Melbourne’s West
Our Values – What we will not compromise
Our five key values are: integrity, collaboration, accountability, innovation and respect
Our Strategic Goals – What we are focused on
- Advocacy – We are the influential voice for the tourism industry in Melbourne’s west
- Visitor Experience – We collaborate to implement a regional visitor framework of authentic experience
- Industry Development – We lead and connect the industry and build its capability
- Communications and Engagement – We communicate our value
- WMT Board – We are a trusted, respectful and productive board
|Our Values||Reflected in our behaviours|
Our Strategic Plan 2014 - 2017
- Industry representation
- Social media]
- Collation of research and / or data
- PR (industry channels)
- Website content
- Participation in Melbourne Metro Events
- Strategic campaign participation
- Development of portfolios of visitor experience
- Digital audit
- Digital collaboration and aggregation of content
- Annual one day regional conference
- Ongoing professional development events
- Informal networking
- Industry social media network
Communications / Engagement
- Communicate WMT value
- Rebuild website
- Stakeholder database
- e-newsletter / industry bulletins
- PR/ Media
- Love the West
- Facebook page
- Leverage comms resources of the WMT network
- Board skills and performance
- Governance framework
- Stakeholder support
- Financial security / sponsorship
- Strategic alignment with Councils and industry
- Executive Officer Annual Performance Review
Download Our Strategic Plan Here:
WMT Strategic Plan 2014 - 2017
This document sets out the WMT board’s three year strategic plan (2014/15 to 2016/17).
This plan provides a framework of support and engagement with local industry operators, advocacy of government, and steps to grow the capability of the sector and the quality of the visitor experience in the region. As a local voice for the tourism sector the plan is a further phase of WMT Board’s mission to improve the tourism profile of the region, grow private investment and public infrastructure development and improve service delivery for visitors.
- Opportunities and Challenges
- Overview – Vision, Purpose, Values & Strategic Goals
- 2014 -2017 : Strategic Plan Summary
- Goal, strategies and desired outcomes:
- Goal 1: Advocacy – We are the influential voice for the tourism industry in Melbourne’s west
- Goal 2: Visitor Experience – We collaborate to implement a regional visitor framework of authentic experience
- Goal 3: Industry Development – We lead and connect the industry and build its capability
- Goal 4: Communications and Engagement – We communicate our value